Monday 17 December 2012

Task 6b


I found the interview process the most difficult one in terms of time. I had set in my mind who I wanted to interview and it was really hard to find a time appropriate to get quality out of the interview. After a week went by I managed to sit down with this person and carry out the interview. The interview felt very formal which was how I wanted it to be. I got what I wanted form the interview which was really good data for me to note down. The interviewee stated that they really liked my questions and posed I should put them to other people as well. I feel the important part of this was choosing who to interview, I wouldn’t just pick anyone it really had to be someone who was going to know stuff I was about to ask them. As for the actual questions I was really pleased with them and got exactly what I wanted from them.

The survey I have found really useful. I feel that people don’t mind taking 5 minutes of their time to write an answer, I feel it’s the best way to get across to many different people. There is not a limit as to how many surveys to give out. I think my questions were abit average but I do also feel for my inquiry they are very appreciate, I particularly liked my last question which was about what someone would do if they could make the law up I feel it gave the person real freedom and it means I can really see peoples true views on schooling. I received most of my surveys back and I managed to ask 1 parent, 6 teachers and 2 others who work with children but in different settings. So it really gave me what I wanted with a wide range of answers.

My focus group was another one which was hard to do as getting everyone together was a challenge. But I got there in the end and everyone grabbed coffee and I just had a general ‘chat’ and put in my questions. I found this so useful it really started up a discussion which lead to a mini debate. It gave me all sorts of answers that I can reflect on. It allowed people to talk about their own personal experiences about my topic. I am glad I choose people in my year group as it meant we had a base to relate back to. I only asked 3 questions during this as I wanted the discussions to go into depth. As for the personalities of people this was the challenge. Some people found it hard to chip in as I did have one person who was very over powering so I as the leader had to keep trying to bring it back to everyone which I did find difficult I had to ensure I was listening to everyone.

Lastly the observation was interesting I did feel it made the person feel a bit uncomfortable but I just ensured I made them feel at ease. It was interesting to see different tactics to mine and was odd to watch an adult rather than what I’m used to is to observe a child. I found this the least useful just as I feel I kind of observe the teacher daily so if I was to do this again I would maybe choose a parent and choose a different setting.

So for module 3 I will decently use surveys to find out information and peoples opinions I will also do lots of focus groups. I will try interviews again and try to plan them in advance. I will try my best to make people aware of my inquiry and involve as many people as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment