Tuesday 20 November 2012

summary

After looking at some of the questions and points Alan made I have found out a little more on admissions in schools.
I searched through some websites and came across one for admissions in Northern Ireland. Interestingly if a child is born in august they would be put in the year below them so there academic year stops at July. There was no signific reason i could find as to why they do it that way or why the UK do it the way we do. But interestingly all I could see was that the parent is blame clearly but there was no reasons stated if it was benefical for the children. Most sites about when child start school it claimed parent get prosecuted if their child is not in school by their 5th birthday. It stated that the coucils welfare officer would contact them and give them a warning and then they were prosecuted. I have joint up to netmums and put a survey out on their views on summer andn winter babies. The couple of replies I have had all feel they don't notice the difference in their learning if born early or later. One mum feels 5 is a great age and even earlier would be benefical.
Just from discussin these points with people has made me question my schools settling in process.. should we seperate them so much at the begginning and persume the winter born are more ready than the summer ones? obviously it is out of my control to change this but I do know that as the all start and mix up I ensure I put them all together and not make the eldest childrens work any harder or different to the younger ones.
From a personnal point of view at my school we have 3 key children a week who we observe and plan activis to follow out with them. And at my school we make the list of these in September and we immediatly put the september to april born first and then the rest last. But from being in Novmeber now and having done 3 quarters of these children I've already noticed that in many of the children there is not much different. One child would count recognise and write their numbers would would still be 4 yet a 5 year old may not even be able to count to 5.
So my summary of this is do we already from such an early age persume the capability of children??

No comments:

Post a Comment