Thursday 22 November 2012

Task 5b


So after me thinking what the ethics were in teaching I went away and found a booklet on 'teachers standards' which is a legal document teachers must follow. Here is a link to the download

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/t/teachers%20standards%20information.pdf

After looking at these 'musts' it made me think about what my initial thoughts were. I clearly thought of the obvious my I feel I went along the thought of most jobs and things which you have to do in a lot of professions. I don't feel like I thought from a teacher’s point of view and the detail of the job and the musts of the job. The preamble to me sums up the job and really should sum up a teacher, if quality teaching was happening.

In my setting we as staff have to follow codes of conduct at all times this clearly states the following in more detail...

 

General expectations- Do not discriminate, promote the school, comply school policies, do not make public statements about the school, no alcohol during school hours, do not drug abuse, do not rumour

 

Working practises- promote the school, work reliably, carry out instructions, be part of a team

 

Reporting malpractice and improper conduct (whistleblowing) - If needed get the policy from Schools Personnel Service

 

Schools policies and procedures- all staff should look at the staff handbook and follow this

 

Dealing with pupils- achieves the highest possible level of achievement for all pupils, value everyone equally. Apply the schools behaviour policy, ensure anything confiscated are safe

 

Health and safety- familiarise with health and safety statements, comply with hygenine requirements, comply with accident reporting requirements, never put anyone at risk, and inform manager of any other paid work

 

Appearance and dress- neat and clean, dress appropriately for your setting, role model; do not put anyone at embarrassment

 

Hours of work and attendance- attend work in accordance to contract, appointments to be made outside of work

 

Sickness absence- notification as early as possible and keep school informed where absence continues

 

Sensitive information and confidentially- know what is confidential information, know who can access it

 

Use of school resources- appropriate use of internet, no mobile phones

 

Keeping within the law- uphold the law at work, never commit a crime, breaching copyright, sexual offences. Crimes of dishonesty

 

This was a broken down version of the schools code of conduct. In comparison to my thoughts I feel I touched on some of these but looking through them now they are all in place in my practise but there are some I have never thought of. Some I hope never ever go on. I’m sure many school follow similar procedures and policies. 

 

My workplace has their own school aims and values this is available for staff, pupils and parents to see.

 


 

Our School Aims and Values
  • To be a friendly and welcoming school where everyone cares for each other and their environment.
  • To commit to constant improvement in the pursuit of the highest standards.
  • To develop and promote each child’s self-esteem, self-discipline, sense of responsibility and co-operation, so that they become successful learners.
  • To provide a learning environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to achieve his/her potential, feeling secure, happy and valued.
  • To provide an education to encourage each child to be a self-confident, inquiring, tolerant, positive individual, a well-rounded character with an inquisitive mind to learn, respecting the differences of others, to be of value to society.
  • To ensure the provision of a relevant, differentiated and balanced curriculum for all children, to excite and motivate life-long learning.
  • To work in strong partnerships with the community to foster high expectations for all children, learning for all and celebrate diversity.

 

It is up in the school and it is on our school website. Again these are points that all staff follow I would never think of them as ethics buts quite frankly they are.

My school also has a mission statement which I feel is important for people to just refer to when wanting to know how the workplace works it is crucial to many.

We work as a team to ensure that all of our children are given the best possible opportunities to experience real success with their learning and development.

We place great importance on the need for children to work hard and become independent learners because we want them to achieve high standards in all that they do at school.

This to me just touches on what the professionals do at my workplace but it is something I will always think of as our main personal ethic.

Lastly the pupils also have ethics to follow. They have golden rules.

 The School Rules: Golden Rules

  • Do be gentle
  • Do be kind
  • Do listen
  • Do work hard
  • Do be honest
  • Do look after property

Children are reminded of these weekly. If ever any issues with behaviour this is used and also used to show parents our expectation of their children.

These are all the policies my workplace follow and interestingly I have now been thinking more and more about my practise ensuring I am following every point.

No comments:

Post a Comment